Ok minions, I try to stay completely away from touchy subjects that have nothing to do with crochet on this blog.
I have written political statements, because I believe in fair trade, and fair wages for people who produce quality goods and services. Especially those of us who work with our hands...and now I'm going to have a mini rant, and give a link to another mini-rant about how Washington State's Legislature's decisions may impact the CLF.
It's indirect mind you, there is no bill outlawing the liberation of crochet, but our dear legislature in the infinate cowardice have chosen to smackdown on the SMALLEST agencies in the state of Washington for the biggest budget cuts, which does very little to nothing to solve the $8+ billion elephant in the living room.
They are asking State Parks to take on the Office of Archaeology and Historic Preservation, WHILE demanding an almost 25% cut from our budget. Folks, State Parks doesn't even get a whole percent of the budget under normal circumstances. PULEEZ.
They keep stating that the areas that need to be cut can't be cut because it would be unconstitutional to do so.
That is ALL or nothing thinking; which is ridiculous!
Frankly, there are places in EVERY agency that can and should get cut. One of the most frustrating things about being married to a Park Ranger, is watching the political maelstrom that he can do nothing about. One of those things is having to hire outside engineering firms to "study" as situation for up to MILLIONS of dollars, only to have it not work (as the Ranger was trying to tell them when they started).. Another great one is when the state has to hire a private contractor, because the law says they have to, instead of allowing the qualified personnel available to do the job. Then the contractors do a crappy job, do not put in parts correctly, cut so many corners there are safety issues, do not meet deadlines or budget constraints and there is NO RECOURSE....
If it happens in state parks it happens in the Dept. of Transportation (way bigger folks), it must happen in the Department of Social and Human Services, and lord only knows what happens in the Office of Superindentant for Public Instruction. The latter has zero teeth to enforce Washington State Ed. Law, and runs millions of dollars worth of studies and silly programs (I know I used to work for one) that really only look like they help (on paper) but do nothing in reality.
And so they want to cut affordable, healthy recreation in a time of economic crisis?
How does this impact the CLF? Well, I can safely say that my husband will not lose his job. But we will most likely end up getting "bumped' in the system, not be on Camano Island anymore, and end up somewhere else in the state...
In fact it works like dominoes, Someone's park will close, they will bump Jeff, Jeff will bump the next guy, he bumps someone else, down the line three more times....and more unemployement.
Make sense? Yeah... So, fingers crossed that the good legislators of Washington State will be engaging their brain in a little more long term thinking than they are most want to do..., but who knows...They still haven't really started talking about the budget, but rest easy the guys from Seattle just may get that money they want to refurbish Key Arena!? >.< GRRRR,,,,
Some days I could smack some politicians with a "Get Smart" stick...
So stay tuned, cause this will affect the retreat in 2010 if the 25% cut happens.
ABOUT THE CLF
- Fearless Leader of the CLF
- Everywhere, No where
- I started the CLF as a joke on Ravelry, back in July of 2007. The joke was on me, we're a real group, that seeks to liberate ourselves from stereo types about our craft and ourselves. Other than being called "Fearless Leader", I'm a designer, mother, editor, wife, hand spinner, yarn addict, incessant reader, and over all geek in the coolest of geeky ways.
Official Blog of the Crochet Liberation Front
- End of March....
- The Flamies: Part DUH
- Picot Freeing Jacket!
- Yarn Companies: RENT A CLUE
- CLF Helping Out with Saving Camano Island Library!...
- Fearless Leader Dork Alert...
- Shamrock Earrings are KITSCHALICIOUS!
- More March Madness! By Gosh and Begora!
- The Flamies
- TODAY IS THE DAY!
- Fabulous...that is the word for the day...
- FOUR DAYS! Ah...Ah...Ah...
- FIVE DAYS!!!
- Hookalicious Yarn!
- Grammar Police Where Are You?
- Another Hookalicious Award!
- Politics may interupt CLF activities! EEP!
- What are you doing for National Crochet Month?
- The FLAMIES! March 16th!
- March: In like a Lion out Like a Lamb...
- Last Day to Vote, and more March Madness
- Name Corrections :)
- Day 1 of National Crochet Month
- Happy National Crochet Month!
- ▼ March (24)
- ► 2008 (211)
CLF Salutes the following Sites
- Crochet Guild of America!
- CLF Sponser! The Secrets of Yarn Project
- Crochet with Dee
- Really REALLY cool crochet Stitch Diva
- Vashti Braha's Blog...neat information for crochet!
- Carol Ventura's Tapestry Crochet
- Prudence Mapstone's WONDERFUL free form crochet and that other yarn craft too
- Stunning wearable art by Myra Wood
- Beautiful Offerings by Bonnie Pierce
- Designer Karen Whooley's Site
- Awarded the Set My Picot Free Badge of Honor...Monster Crochet