I spent all afternoon on Friday at Pinch Knitter's in Stanwood, WA crocheting and signing copies of the Crochet Liberation Front First Ever Book.
As usual I was surrounded by Pointy Stick people and they were very nice, most of them felt the same way about the hook that I do about needles, which is they just can't get the hang of it...No blame, no shame, we all shared our ideas, and enjoyed each others projects.
As we talked of what we like to do, we both seemed unimpressed on a certain level...One gal just loves to do knit lace, and I'm thinking, "Meh, lace, I've done so dang much of it, and it's so easy...." and I'm talking about making plain fabric and cables and they were probably thinking the same thing....Here's the epiphany folks...
Making holes with crochet is dead easy, we love it, it's quick and not hard to do once you practice a bit, with the sticks it takes quite a bit more practice and is not the natural activity of most who do stick work...
Making a good flat piece of fabric in crochet is hard to do, and keep even, and keep polished looking, not so with the sticks...
Does this mean people should not do it? (Either one?) Nope...It just means we need to understand that making holes is simple with the hook and hard with the needles...making plain fabric is easy with the needles (if you can use them) and more difficult with the hooks (if you can use them)....
I don't know why I never thought of it before, but it's probably because I don't use sticks, any more than the person I was sitting with uses hooks (other than to pick up stitches)....
But we call keep this in mind...
ABOUT THE CLF
- Fearless Leader of the CLF
- Everywhere, No where
- I started the CLF as a joke on Ravelry, back in July of 2007. The joke was on me, we're a real group, that seeks to liberate ourselves from stereo types about our craft and ourselves. Other than being called "Fearless Leader", I'm a designer, mother, editor, wife, hand spinner, yarn addict, incessant reader, and over all geek in the coolest of geeky ways.
Official Blog of the Crochet Liberation Front
- Great things afoot at the CLF
- Looking forward to 2009
- A few reminders...
- And what a great year it has been!
- Fearless Leader's Gnome Wishes You Warmth
- Happy Holidays !
- Crocheting in the Deep Freeze :)
- If Fearless Leader Disappears for a while...
- Giving it away...
- The Hunt for Ms. Zimbel
- Fearless Leader Speaks Again...
- Uncommon Crochet...what a fabulous book!
- International Shipping and other thoughts....
- Hookalicious Christmas Trees!
- Crochet in the News...
- Have Faith Crocheters...
- Crochet and the sticks....some thoughts
- ▼ December (17)
CLF Salutes the following Sites
- Crochet Guild of America!
- CLF Sponser! The Secrets of Yarn Project
- Crochet with Dee
- Really REALLY cool crochet Stitch Diva
- Vashti Braha's Blog...neat information for crochet!
- Carol Ventura's Tapestry Crochet
- Prudence Mapstone's WONDERFUL free form crochet and that other yarn craft too
- Stunning wearable art by Myra Wood
- Beautiful Offerings by Bonnie Pierce
- Designer Karen Whooley's Site
- Awarded the Set My Picot Free Badge of Honor...Monster Crochet