I rarely review books on this blog, but I bought one today and it deserves attention and notice!
Hooked for Life Adventures of a Crochet Zealot by Mary Beth Temple is a fabulous, heart warming, and funny read. Yes, you know I adore Mary Beth Temple, and yes originally that's why I bought it.
I purchased the book at my local bookstore (excited to see it on the shelf), because I try to buy crochet books there as much as possible, AND because I really adore Mary Beth Temple and want to see her do well (and hell she bought my book, too!).
I had to take my son to Tae Kwon Do this afternoon, and so instead of shopping or puttering around town, or even crocheting in the mini-van, I picked up my new book and started to read.
From the moment I cracked open the page, all I kept saying was, "Right on!" and "That's why you are in the CLF!" and "Hook ON! My friend!" I chuckled, I nodded, and I misted up a few times. It was a very "Jerry McGuire moment" she had me at hello.
Temple takes a positive approach to crochet, it's history, how we've viewed by others, how we view ourselves, and on every page makes a beautiful case for the value of that which we who wield the hook LOVE!
It's a jaunty ramble of her journey, with which many crocheters can identify readily! From the humorous methods of dealing with gauge issues, to dealing with mixing beverages and yarn, to exploding stashes, and magic balls, to wondering just how that scarf got that big, to the lack of details of just how did that Beer Can hat craze get started and WHY on earth did it catch on in the first place? To the love we who crochet spread in our works of charity, gifts for family, and afghans, yes, in our love of afghans. In fact, I who am often prejudicial against afghans (cause I'm not into making them) changed my mind about them after reading her passage about them. In fact I'm half tempted to start making one right now! (And I misted up!)
It is NOT an in defense of crochet book, it is not apologetic, it is bare bones, this is what we do, here's some history, here's why I love it (and why ME love it too), and here's what it means to many people across the world. It's witty, erudite, and light.
It is the PERFECT gift for your friends who crochet, it is the perfect treat for yourself, put it on your list of MUST READS!
It does not attempt to convert anyone to anything, it just IS about crochet. It earns an award from me...
Mary Beth Temple I award your fabulous hooky tome the SET MY PICOT FREE AWARD!
As soon as I get to a high speed connection I'm put this on the carosel!
ABOUT THE CLF
- Fearless Leader of the CLF
- Everywhere, No where
- I started the CLF as a joke on Ravelry, back in July of 2007. The joke was on me, we're a real group, that seeks to liberate ourselves from stereo types about our craft and ourselves. Other than being called "Fearless Leader", I'm a designer, mother, editor, wife, hand spinner, yarn addict, incessant reader, and over all geek in the coolest of geeky ways.
Official Blog of the Crochet Liberation Front
- My Bestest Crochet Friend...Stitch Dictionaries
- Crochet Magazines: A crictical eye...
- Creating opportunity...
- A rare but warranted Review.
- Confidence & Crafting...
- The Portland Experience...
- Saturday of the Crochet and Knit Show
- Crochet on The EDGE! The Hooknuck makes the rounds...
- Crocheters go to Voodoo Doughnuts in Portland
- Captn's Log: Crochet Date; Thurs May 14
- Off to the CGOA Regional in Portland, Oregon!
- Crochet Tag...You're It!
- 25 Reasons I love Crochet...
- Crochet ignorance...
- Craft Marketeers & Suppliers Listen Up!
- Getting Down To Crochet Biznez
- Crocheting Hats as fast as I can, PLUS More result...
- Come on crocheters, get with it!
- Some results...and FROGGIN'
- ▼ May (19)
- ► 2008 (211)
CLF Salutes the following Sites
- Crochet Guild of America!
- CLF Sponser! The Secrets of Yarn Project
- Crochet with Dee
- Really REALLY cool crochet Stitch Diva
- Vashti Braha's Blog...neat information for crochet!
- Carol Ventura's Tapestry Crochet
- Prudence Mapstone's WONDERFUL free form crochet and that other yarn craft too
- Stunning wearable art by Myra Wood
- Beautiful Offerings by Bonnie Pierce
- Designer Karen Whooley's Site
- Awarded the Set My Picot Free Badge of Honor...Monster Crochet