ABOUT THE CLF

My photo
Everywhere, No where
I started the CLF as a joke on Ravelry, back in July of 2007. The joke was on me, we're a real group, that seeks to liberate ourselves from stereo types about our craft and ourselves. Other than being called "Fearless Leader", I'm a designer, mother, editor, wife, hand spinner, yarn addict, incessant reader, and over all geek in the coolest of geeky ways.

Beware Defamers of the Hook!

Beware Defamers of the Hook!
Like Joan of Arc, and the Scarlet Pimpernel we are here to seek Justice!

Search for Crochet

Custom Search

Official Blog of the Crochet Liberation Front

Saturday, February 23, 2008

An Obligatory Rant

I haven't ranted in a little while, so I feel that I must. It's my duty to rant on behalf of crochet and those who wield the hook.

So here's my top ten list of assinine things people who think they know about crochet get wrong...

1) Crochet is limited
2) Crochet is stuck in the 1970's
3) Crochet makes poor fabric for garments
4) You can't be a professional designer if all you know how to do is crochet.
5) Crochet makes too bulky of stitches
6) The posts look ugly
7) Crochet doesn't stretch enough
8) Crocheters are not as polished as other crafters.
9) Crochet is a poor substitute for real needle work.
10) Crochet just doesn't look as nice.

These are the first ten things I could think of that I have heard repeatedly.

Answer to #1: Are you kidding me? We can crochet anything, anytime, anywhere! Just because you can't find the books in an LYS doesn't mean the information isn't out there. The materials aren't to be found in most LYS's because most LYS's are owned by people who know butkiss about crochet. Those that do known about crochet and own yarn stores DO have the materials.

Crochet can make anything from evening gowns and wedding dresses to the most KITCHILICOUS toys and accessories. We can be two or three dimensional on our WHIMS.

2) The whole 1970's thing...Oh puleez...give me a break. I won't even go into this, that's just an ignorant thing to say.

3, 5, & 6) Once again ignorance. That's what happens with a little bit of knowledge folks...it's dangerous. Crochet can be bulky, usually when someone choses the yarn one would use in a pointy stitck project. In general we have to go down a yarn size. It's YARN choices people. You cannot just use yarn willy nilly...There are many pointy stick people that also do not choose the right size/weight of yarn for projects. How do I know? I run a fiber department at a fair, that's how I know, I see the entries, all of them.

The posts only look out of place in sweaters when you want a knit look, and that is only in double crochet and larger stitches...try out an hdc and work in the vertical versus the horizontal and see how your fabric turns out!

4) Well, that is just ludicrious...why should you have to know how to design in another craft to be a professional. I do not believe the pointy stick people are required to understand crochet, I could be wrong and if so I will stand corrected. However, this is just stupid. I'm tired of watching really great crochet designers feel like they HAVE to learn to use the sticks in order to be valid. Sheesh that makes my blood boil. If you want to learn another craft, great! That's awesome! I just don't feel that people should feel forced to do so!

7) Once again, a statement made by someone who just doesn't have the expertise to speak on the matter. It truly depends on the stitches and direction in which you are working, and your yarn/fiber choice...Some times we do not want flexibility...for example: Making corsettes...you really want support, crochet can give that to you. You can get stretch too! Make a net shopping bag and find out what happens!

8) That's just mean spirited and rude. I wish such people would keep their mouths firmly closed. It's so lovely that people have opinions isn't it? What ever happened to if you can't say anything nice, do not say anything at all!

9) Ditto 8 on this one. And, what could anyone POSSIBLY MEAN BY THAT???!!! Give me a break. Frankly, all handwork is comprised of those who know what they are doing, those with experience, and those who are in the middle and at the beginning of the learning curve. I've seen projects in every kind of fiber art you can imagine, some have been polished, some have not, some are finished well and some are not...that's a skill set...Frankly, these are foolishly stupid comments.

10) Another opinion often not based in fact. Funny enough, just after having made that statement I have been asked what pattern, yarn and "needles" I used for what ever project someone wanted to make...Frankly, I'm tired of hearing it. It's untrue and it's spewed and regurgitated nonesense. Yup, you heard me, it's non-sense. Perpatrators of this kind of idiocy should be regarded with raised eyebrows and silence.

Don't excuse our work! We are talented, we are proud...WE ARE THE CLF!

Keep hooking people!

Support the CLF! Our Zazzle Store