Marketing to Crochet Enthusiasts 101.
Fiber arts Festivals, retreats, yarn stores, LEND ME YOUR EARS (I promise I will give them back).
You want to know why crocheters don't come to events, or when they do they sit in their own corners?
Because it is blatantly obvious that crochet is "out" in a large portion of the fiber population's mind. I don't know how that happened, but I'm about to get really rude if I keep hearing the tired statements about crochet when I go to events and gatherings.
It is amazing, vendors say crocheters don't spend money on their items. My response is a) Crocheters aren't even here! Why? Because they are not marketed to, to begin with and they are made to feel less than comfortable when they do attend gatherings on the off chance they brave an LYS.
How to market to crocheters:
1) People who crochet, especially crochet only, do not associate what they do with knitting. Therefore the words "knitting" ,"knit","Needle" mean zip, zero and nada to a crocheter (unless they are bi-crafty). Crochet uses hooks, and we do not knit. So, believe it or not, many crocheters don't even go into yarn stores because so many are named for the pointy stick past time that many hooksters don't even realise they can go buy yarn in those stores!
(Crazy? Well, would you think to buy a car in a place called Boat World?)
2) The myths about crochet get old: Crocheters do more than make doilies and edging. We are not stuck in the 1970's. Crochet is NOT limited. And there are plenty of brilliant teachers available to teach wonderful, technical and exciting classes. And yes, we do in general spend money if there are things we want to buy. (That is a future article.)
3) Advertise if you can in local crafting newletters and magazines. Let large crochet groups know about your event. Notices in libraries, shops and other venues that people frequent.
Heck, if you are having an event, let the CLF know! We'll help you plug it to crocheters.
4) Crocheters are not lesser, or lower class than knitters. Regardless of what the history of crochet may or may not be, no one has really been able to give diffinitive proof of it in my book, today crocheters come from every walk of life, every country, all beliefs, pocket book sizes and in both genders.
So, festivals, retreats, and gatherings if it has to do with fiber arts, then include crochet too! We're a fiber art as well!
Remember, the CLF would much rather have you on our NICE list :) (We don't keep a naughty list).
Hooks Raised CLF Salute.
ABOUT THE CLF
- Fearless Leader of the CLF
- Everywhere, No where
- I started the CLF as a joke on Ravelry, back in July of 2007. The joke was on me, we're a real group, that seeks to liberate ourselves from stereo types about our craft and ourselves. Other than being called "Fearless Leader", I'm a designer, mother, editor, wife, hand spinner, yarn addict, incessant reader, and over all geek in the coolest of geeky ways.
Official Blog of the Crochet Liberation Front
- Faeya You are ONE HOOKILICIOUS Hookster!
- National Crochet Month...
- What does this pretty view have to do with Crochet...
- MissPiggott! You have set our picot free!
- Diggin' You get a Hookilicious Award
- This Capelet Sets All our PICOT FREE!!
- SparkyAlbatross This is Hookilicious!
- An Obligatory Rant
- Weavernom You have Set Our Picot FREE!
- Ibby's Hookilicious Hot Pad!
- Missblonde winner of Kitchilicious!
- Missyboo! You have SET OUR PICOT FREE!
- Licraftgal This is HOOKILICIOUS!
- National Crochet Month: March
- Fiber Art & Crochet...Marketing
- Crochet Friendly LYS List!
- Elleemmiss You Have Set Our Picot Free!
- Hookilicious PugMomma!
- Sukigirl74!! Kitschilicious! oreo tape measure
- Sleepycat! Behold! A Set My Picot Free Winner!
- Crochet Perfect World
- Free Form Crochet Mat
- SZABO! WOW! Look at your work!
- CLF in the Spotlight!
- ▼ February (24)
CLF Salutes the following Sites
- Crochet Guild of America!
- CLF Sponser! The Secrets of Yarn Project
- Crochet with Dee
- Really REALLY cool crochet Stitch Diva
- Vashti Braha's Blog...neat information for crochet!
- Carol Ventura's Tapestry Crochet
- Prudence Mapstone's WONDERFUL free form crochet and that other yarn craft too
- Stunning wearable art by Myra Wood
- Beautiful Offerings by Bonnie Pierce
- Designer Karen Whooley's Site
- Awarded the Set My Picot Free Badge of Honor...Monster Crochet