ABOUT THE CLF

My photo
Everywhere, No where
I started the CLF as a joke on Ravelry, back in July of 2007. The joke was on me, we're a real group, that seeks to liberate ourselves from stereo types about our craft and ourselves. Other than being called "Fearless Leader", I'm a designer, mother, editor, wife, hand spinner, yarn addict, incessant reader, and over all geek in the coolest of geeky ways.

Beware Defamers of the Hook!

Beware Defamers of the Hook!
Like Joan of Arc, and the Scarlet Pimpernel we are here to seek Justice!

Search for Crochet

Custom Search

Official Blog of the Crochet Liberation Front

Monday, April 28, 2008

Calling all Crocheters!

Fellow Wielders of the hook, I would like to sound a call to action! We need to stand up for ourselves in what could seem like a small matter, but indeed is rather serious!

Webster's Dictionary has a terrible definition for crochet! I found this as I was searching for the french verb "to crochet" (crocheter) and how to conjugate it (yes, I am a nerd). I stumbled upon a large collection of dictionary definitions for crochet. Webster's definition was that crochet is a "form of knitting."

Ok, that's ridiculous and wrong. Crochet was never a form of knitting, ever. Nothing wrong with knitting, again I want to reitterate we are a PRO-crochet group, not anti knitting. Yet, how can we gain our own independant identity if we are constantly in the compare and contrast with a media that only truly shares the use of hand held instrument(s) and yarn?

So, here's what I ask of you! I contacted them already, and respectfully asked that the definition be amended. Here is how you contact them, please do so! And if you are a member of the CLF list that in your note to them! Or heck you can copy and paste the information below into an email to send them, if word smithing isn't your game!

To whom it may concern:

It has come to my attention that the Merriam Webster's Dictionary has the word "crochet" defined as a "form of knitting." As a member of the Crochet Liberation Front, I would like to respectfully request that this definition be amended.

Crochet is not, nor has it ever been a form of knitting. We are both crafts that utilize hand held implements that work yarn into fabric. However, knitting is worked with two needles and crochet uses one hook. The fabric is vastly different and the two have different historic uses.

Crochet is a textile art that uses a hook to make loops that produce a fabric. Historically crochet was used for making lace.

Thank you for your time, I look forward to seeing the definition revised.

Sincerely

(your name)

That should be good enough. Feel free to amend the words, or add to the defintion. This is just a prompt and suggestion for contact.

Let's see if together WE can make a difference! Just one small step to global domination! Muwahahahahahah!

Support the CLF! Our Zazzle Store